History Page 4

In October 1911, the Lodge invited R.W.Bro Col Cornwallis, PGW, the Provincial Grand Master, to again hold the Annual Provincial Grand Lodge Meeting under its Banner, and on 19th June 1912, the meeting took place in Deal. The arrangements made on this occasion were: Lodge at the Theatre Royal,
King Street, Deal 12.45 pm
Service at St. George's Church 2.30 pm
Banquet at the Stanhope Hall, Stanhope Road 4.00 pm

In May 1912, the Lodge sent a subscription to the Titanic Relief Fund.

On 13th March 1913, the Lodge agreed to support the appeal of Grand Lodge to subscribe to a fund to purchase a unique collection of old certificates and warrants for the Museum of Grand Lodge.

On 9th October 1913, the Lodge agreed to form a Benevolent Association.

In October 1914, the Lodge subscribed Ten Guineas to the War Distress Fund.

In October 1914, the Lodge received Fraternal greetings from the Wellington Lodge No 1521, New Zealand.

On 13th May 1915, the Lodge voted a subscription to the fund for the relief of Belgian refugees in Deal.

On 12th October 1916, Bro Raymond S. Tanner, ID, was killed in action. The Lodge agreed that his photograph and letters of appreciation of his conduct on the field of battle, received Rom his Colonel and his Captain, be framed and hung in the ante-room of the Temple.

On 14th December 1916, the Lodge answered the appeal for funds for the Freemasons' Hospital and Nursing Home.

During the years of war 1914-18, the Lodge conferred the 2 nd and 3 rd Degrees on numerous Service personnel by request of other Lodges.

On 27th February 1919, the Lodge made a donation towards the Dover Patrol Memorial Fund, and in April of the same year a donation towards the building fund of the Deal and Walmer War Memorial Hospital.

On 24th April 1919, the Lodge received an official visit from the Deputy PGM, W.Bro John White, PGW.

In 1922 the Lodge made a donation to the Provincial Library and Museum Fund.

In the following year, 1923, the Lodge became a founding member of the new Royal Masonic Hospital.

On 24th January 1923, the Permanent Committee of the Lodge was formed, and it was decided that this committee should approve the applications of all candidates for Initiation.

On 11 th October 1924, the Lodge voted a donation towards the Masonic Million Memorial Fund for the building of Freemasons' Hall, Great Queen Street, London.

On 25th March 1926, R.W.Bro Col Cornwallis, PGW, honoured the Lodge with his presence and on that occasion presented to WBro H.T. Pain, PPrJGW, on behalf of the Brethren of the Lodge, an engraved silver salver to mark the occasion of his twenty-first year as Secretary of the Wellington Lodge.

On 13lh May 1926, the Lodge, after long consideration, agreed to relinquish the Dispensation from Grand Lodge, whereby the meetings had been held fortnightly, and in future to meet monthly on the second Thursday in the months of October to May inclusive, there to be one Junior Lodge of Instruction and one for Officers in each of these months.

On 9th May 1929, W.Bro A.S. Hobbs, PAGDC, PrGSec, attended the Lodge and presented W.Bro H.T. Pain with his regalia of PGStB on behalf of eighty Brethren of the Lodge who had subscribed to purchase this.

In 1931 the Table meetings after the closing of the Lodge were discontinued, and their place was taken by a Lodge Supper.

In 1932 the first Ladies' Festival was held.

The war years of 1939-45. The Lodge held no meetings in the autumn of 1939, but in January 1940, the WM was duly installed. No further meetings were held, however, between May 1940 and January 1941. The Masonic Hall having been requisitioned, two meetings were held at the Black Horse Hotel. The Lodge then obtained a dispensation to meet at the hall of WBro Little's premises in Queen Street, and continued to meet there until this building was destroyed by enemy action in August 1942. The Lodge then united with the Lord Warden Lodge No 1096, and meetings were held under the joint banners of the two Lodges at the Manor House, Upper Deal, the installation meetings being held in the Parish Hall of St. Leonard's, Deal. During this period the meetings were held on the second Wednesdays in the usual months for meetings

On 17th May 1945, the Lodge returned to the Masonic Hall. On this occasion the Chaplain offered a prayer of thanksgiving for the restoration of peace, and the National Anthem was sung.

On 9th February 1950, WBro Cavell delivered a paper which he had written entitled "The Impact of World War II on the Wellington Lodge."

On 13th April 1950, the Lodge received a visit from the WM and Officers of the Wellington Lodge No 311 Rye, Province of Sussex, and the W.M. and Officers of the Wellington Lodge No 784 paid a return visit to Rye in the autumn.

On 12th October 1950, the Lodge became a Vice-Patron Lodge of the Royal Masonic Benevolent Institution.

On 9th November 1950, prior to the opening of the Lodge, the Chaplain dedicated a case of tracing boards, which had been subscribed for by the Brethren as a memorial to the late WBro H.T. Pain who had been Secretary of the Wellington Lodge for forty years.

On 10th April 1952, this being the centenary year of the death of the first Duke of Wellington, which occurred at Walmer Castle on 14th September 1952, W.Bro Sydney Pope, PGStB, the Provincial Librarian, read a paper entitled "A Mason who left his mark on the history of his Country."

No mention has been made in these records of the Lodge's support of our Charitable Institutions. In the early days it was customary for the WM to become a Steward during his year of office, frequently being joined by other Brethren. In later times the Lodge has always supported the PGM when presiding at festivals. It is also recorded that in the early years of its existence the Lodge at almost all of its meetings gave relief to distressed Brethren and their dependents in Deal. As in many other Lodges, variations of working have been introduced during the past century These have now become the established customs of the Wellington Lodge, and succeeding Preceptors of the Lodge of Instruction and Directors of Ceremonies have carefully guarded against their omission. Perhaps in recollection of our many Founders who were in the Pilot service the Brethren sing the first verse of the Seamen's Hymn, "Eternal Father, Strong to Save," before the Closing Ode at the conclusion of the meetings. The present Officers of the Lodge, and those who will succeed them, may be relied upon to transmit these customs to the generations to follow, and our hope is that present and future members will continue to fully and faithfully uphold the principles and tenets of Freemasonry as our Brethren have done during the past hundred years.

Click Here For Page 1 / Click Here For Page 2 / Click Here For Page 3